What causes frequent urination inspite of using antibiotics for UTI?

Posted on Wed, 7 May 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Two weeks ago I finished taking an antibiotic for a urinary tract infection. This is not my first UTI. Since I have finished with my antibiotics, my infection has cleared up but I still am urinating much more frequently than before and many times my urine flow is much weaker and sometimes I just have a dribble. I asked my doctor about about seeing a Uroligist and he suggested I wait 1-2 weeks to see if my problem goes away. I can do this, although it is frustrating, but I wonder if what I am experiencing is not that uncommon or what you would suggest I do.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Most likely you are dealing with prostate enlargement (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia). Symptoms mentioned by you are not characteristic for urinary tract infection and should not appear after the infection is gone. So most likely this two weeks wont change anything and even if the symptoms will get better, still urologist consult is necessary. Before this consult, you should have PSA level checked. Urologist should perform transrectal examination and ultrasound. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
I am taking the 10mg of Terazosin for prostate enlargement. The symptoms I described were not prevalent prior to my urinary tract infection. My PSA levels have always been around 1.0. If I didn't have this problem before the UTI and taking of antibiotics, how come I still have the problem after the infection is cleared up and I am done taking antibiotics?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Lets make it that way. What if the prostate enlargement which has gotten worse recently, has caused the infection? Please note that prostate enlargement causes obstacle on the urine way from bladder to urethra. This obstacle makes urine flow slower. Slower flowing urine allows bacteria to grow in the urinary tract and does not flush them out as it should. As you have noticed, infection is gone and symptoms are still present. Doesnt this make clear conclusion that something else than infection is causing your symptoms? Please note that our knowledge about how things work in the human body is very incomplete. Some issues can coexist (like infection and prostate enlargement), some issues can affect or stimulate other. Infection could cause some prostate swelling and give symptoms in such way. One thing is certain, you should consult urologist and verify your prostate especially that you have prostate enlargement diagnosed. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon