• question-icon

What causes frequent urination and headache?

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I have been urinating about 4 times in an hour. Terrible headaches, and hip pain.
Also wanted to note: I do not have any burning or pain with the urination. But it has me a little freaked out because it is so much. I am hypoglycemic so I check my sugars regularly.
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Asymptomatic UTI ??

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ms XXXXXXX

Welcome to health care magic.

I understand your concern regarding urinary frequency and the unnecessary nuisance, it can cause.

Classic UTI presents with frequent and urgent urination.

Diabetes is also one of the most common causes of urinary frequency, but that has been ruled out in your case.

Other causes of urinary frequency include:
1. Alcohol use
2. Anxiety
3. Caffeine
4. Pregnancy
5. Vaginal infection

There could be UTI without burning pain or fever which is termed as asymptomatic UTI and this can be diagnosed only by urinalysis and urine culture.

I suggest you undergo a culture sensitivity for your urine sample to rule out UTI.

You can get a prescription for appropriate antibiotics based on the test results.

Over the counter painkillers can be taken for the headache and hip pain for today.

If it does not reduce, you need to get examined by a GP to rule out the common causes.

Few tips to be followed to reduce the frequency of urination:
1. Avoid drinking too much fluid, 3-4 liters per day is the recommended intake.
2. Reduce the amount of coffee, other caffeinated beverages, and alcohol you drink.
3. Keep the genital area clean and dry.

I hope I have helped you with this answer.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thanks.

Dr. Roopa Hiremath

Infectious Diseases Specialist