• question-icon

What causes frequent painful leg cramps at night?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Dr. Prof. XXXXXXX Saha
I tried to reply to you a week ago. I said that I do not have the expertise to send my EKGs or other electronic information to you.
I said that without any clue of how much potassium and/or magnesium to take, I am not able to take that advice.
I expressed appreciation for your stating that genetic testing is not useful unless one has some way to prevent the disease to which one is predisposed.
At this point I would like some recommendations for either avoiding or stopping the frequent cramps in my popliteal fossa, the calf, the foot and the toes which occur at night and are extremely painful and debilitating. Again, potassium and/or magnesium have been suggested but no dosage and I even drink pickle juice as well as pinching the filtrum as an accupressure point. I am looking for a magic bullet.
Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Taking juicy fruits like citrus fruits should help in reducing the cramps

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking once again on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and can remember the previous one. The muscle cramps could be related to electrolyte imbalance. I would insist you to increase total fluid (water) intake and to take plenty of ORS (oral rehydration solution) to replenish the lost fluids and salts. Take juicy fruits like citrus fruits. They contain plenty of potassium which should help in proper functioning of the muscles and in reduction of the cramps. You can take Potclor syrup (potassium chloride) 5ml twice daily but I would not recommend that unless your treating physician insists on the same. Self medication with potassium is risky. As such the recommended dose is 40 to 100 mEq per day, orally, in 2 to 5 divided doses. Taking juicy fruits is much safer and should achieve the same task.

Uro-Mag (magnesium) [Alternative brands Almora, Elite Magnesium, Mag-Tab SR, Mag-Gel 600] one tablet once daily can be taken for at least next couple of weeks. 270–400mg is usually recommended daily.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 13 hours later
Thank you so much; i will add to my personal protocol and I'd love not to have cramps anymore!
XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Glad to help.

Detailed Answer:
Hopefully you will find relief with the ongoing interventions. Let me know if I could be of any further assistance. I would be there to assist you.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha