What causes frequent bouts of sneezing?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I have frequent bouts of sneezing in the morning time without a reason that I can understand. Also I have experienced such bouts while going through dusty places or vegetable markets especially, chilly coriander. I just want to understand the reason behind the same & if it can be controlled/avoided
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allergic rhinitis.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. These are the symptoms of allergic rhinitis.

2. Get a prescription form a local doctor for once a day anti-allergic combination of an anti-histamine (such as fexofenadine. levocetirizine or cetirizine) and an anti-leukotriene (such as montelukast). A once a day nasal steroid spray (such as mometasone or fluticasone) should be started. Regular steam inhalation, hypertonic saline nasal washes will help. Take a minimum trial of two weeks and revert back.

3. The next step is to check for specific allergies and avoid them for long term relief. This will require skin prick tests, blood tests and so on. This can be discussed once the symptoms are controlled.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj