What causes fluttering sensation in the knee?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: after a massage where the practicioner pushed my heel into my gluteus, I experienced a worsening of a flutter on my left knee, which had had it off and on before, but mostly off. Then my right leg developed it mostly in the back of the leg near the knee. Tried magnesium cream, chiropractic, taping. it went away for a week and is now back.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Knee arthritis and muscle weakness

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

You could be experiencing a sitting of muscle weakness which can translate to 'fluttering' movement.

I believe you may need physiotherapy to assess and strengthen the muscles around the knee. Soak you could be having arthritis of the knees such can be the cause of the weakness of the muscles.

Do get X-rays (AP & Lateral view) of the knees and request the Physiotherapist to assess the muscle strength around the knees.

Take calcium supplements and get good sunlight exposure. Keep well hydrated.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee