What causes fluctuations in hemoglobin levels?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Mon, 8 May 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hi Doctor:

My CBC showed a hemoglobin of 13.8 when two weeks ago it was 14.7. All other blood work is great. I have always ran a hemoglobin at 14-15 range. This is almost one point in just two weeks? Should this be a concern?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Intra-instrument variation in Hb is acceptable.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.
The variation between two hemoglobin (Hb) values tested at gap of 2 weeks is within acceptable limit.
A variation of 10% can occur between two values of same parameter measured at different points of time.
This variation is attributed to intra instrument variation which is acceptable up to 10% and in your case it is just 4.5 %.

So, nothing to worry.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad