What causes flashes of bright light in peripheral vision of left eye?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Yes, thank you. My husband had a weird thing happen a couple of days ago. He saw a bright light, felt strange and saw something like broken glass, colored broken glass in his peripheral vision in his left eye. It lasted for a few hours.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
peripheral field defect

Detailed Answer:
My Dear,
Thanks for sending ypur query to us.
This may occur due to some vascular or degenerative change in the periphery of retina.
At some stage or if this phenomenon recurs it will be advisable to see a retina specialist and have the periphery of retina examined.
In the meanwhile try to avoid lifting heavy objects and overstraining.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D