What causes excruciating pain in throat when diagnosed with GERD?
Take prokinetic drugs levosulpride with Antacids.
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for your query.I have read your query and understand the concern.
Since you have already been diagnosed as a GERD or reflux esophagitis which is caused due to irritation/ inflammation of the esophagus due to acid reflux from stomach.
The acid reflux is caused due to relaxation of the sphincter at the lower part of esophagus.Your excruciating pain is likely because of acid reflux and it needs to be treated with appropriate medications.
Since you have taken omeprazole assuming that it could be related acid reflux and it also gave you some relief from that excruciating pain.
But in MY advise you will also need to take prokinetic drugs (levosulpride 75 mg) along with proton pump inhibitors (omeprazole 20mg or pantoprazole 40) rather than omeprazole alone.
The above combination pills actually increases stomach emptying time along with effect on gasteoesophageal sphincter and for that,I will suggest you to go to a nearby pharmacy and ask the pharmacist a brand or a pill with a combination of pantoprazole 40 and levosulpride or omeprazole 20 and levosulpiride
So,I will suggest you to take these drugs with some precautions and their combined effect will helpful to you.
Also,there are certain digestive enzymes (Uni-enzymes) available over the counter which will also be helpful in the digestion of carbohydrates and minimize the gas production if there are.
Apart from medications, you should also be careful with your diet.
1) Avoid oily,spicy and high fiber diet.
2) Avoid eating with full stomach rather you eat small frequent meals.
3) Avoid taking rest for 2 hours after meal.
4) You should walk slowly up to first 2 hrs of meal but don't walk fast.
5) You should make regular eating pattern.
6) Have your dinner before 8 pm so that at the time of sleeping your stomach will be empty.If possible,keep your head end slightly elevated during sleeping.
7) Regular yoga will also be helpful.
All this cumulative effect will be beneficial to you while treating for the GERD and will minimize this sleep disturbing pain.
Hope this helps and let me know if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards,
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can gerd cause jaw pain
- Can gerd cause painful urination
- Gerd causing white spots on throat
- What causes inflamed tonsils when suffering from gerd
- Gerd pain in throat
- Whats problem gerd causes
- What is the cause and treatment for gerd
- What causes throat and jaw pain when suffering from gerd
- Is crocoid cartilage pain caused by gerd
- What causes acidic sensation while swallowing when having gerd