What causes excessive sweating post menopause?

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Wed, 11 Oct 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hello, I'm a 68 y/o female and I'm not sure when I went through menopause. For the past 18 months or so, I have had excessive sweating Even after my a.m. shower. It can start again if I do housework. My PCP says he doesn't know the cause and basically has blown it off. Could I have a hormone imbalance? A friend suggested I see a gyn specialist. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see below

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. This seems to be a case of secondary hyperhydrosis, I.e. excessive sweating due to an underlying disease.
First of all, you might want to change the cosmetic products you are using. Sometimes, lotions, creams or fragrances can clog the skin and cause excessive sweating.

I do not know how extensive your health evaluation was, however, an over active thyroid, diabetes, gout, obesity, heavy metal poisoning and/or a tumor can all be plausible causes.

I suggest you have your TSH, T3 and T4 level tested, and also your blood sugar levels. If these come back normal, I suggest you do a toxicology screening, followed by a complete physical examination.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.
Wishing you good health and all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T