• question-icon

What causes burning pain in the feet?

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: how can i stop the burning pain in my feet and the aches in my lower leg after a short walk.My simtoms started over a month ago when I was standing outside burning brush.I used ice,linoment and changed to larger shoes for comfort.the pain keeps me up at night with cold toes and i have to hang my foot off the bed to be relaxed.Is there a cure.

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible nerve damage

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Burning sensation and pain in feet and legs is suggestive of nerve damage, a condition called neuropathy. This caused by many different causes and conditions, but the most common is diabetes and alcohol abuse.
Damaged nerves misfire and send pain signals to the brain even when there is no actual stimulation or wound. Nerve damage in most people starts from the feet and legs. The treatment consists of identifying the cause, which besides diabetes and alcohol can also be due to vitamin deficiency such as vitamin B6 and B12, as well as folic acid, low functoning thyroid, heavy metal poisoning or inflammation of the blood vessels.
Poor blood circulation may also be a plausible cause, given the cold toes.
In order to find out, prevent further damage and treat this condition, further investigation is needed.
A less expensive way than MRI is to do a nerve conduction study to test the ability of nerves to convey impulses. Also blood work could give important clues as to the real culprit by testing sugar levels, thyroid hormone levels, vitamin levels etc.
The best way to treat this condition, if confirmed, is to treat the cause and stop further nerve damage.

I hope this helps.
If you have further questions I would be happy to answer them.
Wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ornela Ademovi