• question-icon

What causes excessive crying, jaundice and sleeplessness?

Posted on Thu, 9 Jul 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi I delivered a baby 2 and half month old his birth weight is 3 kg and after 4th day of delivery he weighs 2.6 kg due to little high range of jaundice value and last week he weighs 4.58 kg .Now my concern is he is crying excessively especially in the evening during crying he refuses to take feed and once consoled he will take feed and he is active in the morning time can you tell the reason for this excessive crying he passes urine at regular interval and passes motion 3 days once also he is not good in sleep he sleep less hours .I also doubt whether small glass piece went inside my mouth as last week my XXXXXXX got broke n very very small glass piece fell near baby bed if baby swallowed what is the symptoms I checked his stool no blood ris there any symptoms other than that
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Try to give both foremilk and hindmilk to avoid infant colics

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the HCM

I completely understand your concerns but don't worry. In my opinion your child seems to be suffering from infantile colic. Let me tell you something about this first. When babies are on exclusive breastfeeding, they need both fore milk (which comes first and is rich in water content and lactose) and hind milk ( which is the thicker milk rich in fats coming later). Fore milk satisfies thirst and hind milk helps to satisfy appetite and helps in weight gain. While breastfeeding it's a common mistake to feed the baby from one breast and changing it before the baby could get sufficient hind milk as well. This leads to baby getting mainly fore milk. So he gets more lactose which when broken down in gut produces gas and leads to colic. I am giving all this information to you so that you understand the reason for your baby's cry and uneasiness. You may avoid it by:
1. Feed him completely from 1 breast before changing the side.
2. Keep a gap of atleast 1-2 hours between feeds.
3. Always burp him properly after feeds
4. Use colicaid drops IF in spite of this he has evening colics

There is no problem if he passes poop once in a week or multiple times in a day unless and until he has any other symptoms such as vomiting, tense abdomen, refusal to feeds etc. So don't worry about it.

Also it's very unlikely for a baby to eat anything so small from his vicinity at this age. It can happen only after age of 8-9months when their pincer grasp develops.

Hopefully this will help you. For further questions about this, you may contact me.

Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma 1 hour later
Thanks doctor how long should I feed in each breast .Why particularly baby cries in the evening even though it is a colic .Regarding object went to my baby mouth though it can't grasp and swallow is it possible if the glass piece broke n directly went to his mouth because XXXXXXX fell down near baby bed n glass broken into pieces so in that speed I doubt glass piece directly went to baby mouth n he swallowed it
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Breast feed from 1 breast till it becomes soft and the baby leaves

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Change the sides when the breast becomes soft and baby is not getting enough milk ( no fullness of cheeks, gulping sounds, minimal milk on squeezing breast manually) on repeated efforts.

Infant colics are also known as evening colics because they have tendency to menifest in evening and nights.
Don't worry they will subside once you follow the methods I suggested.

As far as glass is concerned, it's still very unlikely to be swallowed at this age and since 1 week has passed thereafter, so now don't worry at all.

Hopefully I have answered your questions. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help you. Otherwise, you may rate the question and close the discussion.
For any further questions you may contact me.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician