How much of breast milk to feed for a 45 days old baby?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi doctor, I have a daughter who is 45 days old and nowadays she is feeding only for 10min per feed during night is it ok? And how long should I feed her regularly?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are no set rules for feeding - please feed on demand

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I understand your concern. There are no set rules for feeding this much time, but, at the same time if your daughter refuses to feed after 10 or 15 minutes please stop at that particular time and again gently wake her up in another 2 hours (if she herself does not wake up crying for feed) and feed her.

As long as she is otherwise active and gaining 25 to 30 grams per day and voiding urine well, you need not worry about her feeding pattern.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 12 hours later
But the regular thumb rule is to feed 15min per breast for each feed, if I stop only with 10min won't she be malnutritioned?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need not worry about thumb rules if the baby's weight gain is good

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I understand your concern.

But as I had already mentioned you - As long as she is otherwise active and gaining 25 to 30 grams per day and voiding urine well, you need not worry about her feeding pattern or any preset rules or timing or period of breast feeding.

If you can get back to me with the exact date of birth and exact current weight of the baby, I will calculate the percentile of the weight of the baby according to the growth charts and will reassure you based on scientific evidence. By doing this we will also know the weight velocity of the baby.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 4 minutes later
Birthday is 8th October and birth weight was 2.66 and her current weight is 3.86kg
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on weight gain of the baby

Detailed Answer:
Hi....

1. Her weight is now at 13th centile exactly. To make it clear to you - the concept of percentiles is that - any value between 5th to 9th centile is normal. So, now we know that your kid's weight percentile is normal.

2. In the initial 7-14 days the babies usually lose 10% of their body weight and gain it again by10th to 14th day. So in this way also - if we calculate - the per day weight gain of your baby is 38.7grams/day (normal XXXXXXX average is 25-30 grams per day).

So keeping these facts in mind, I reassure that you need not worry about the feeding pattern of your baby, she is growing well.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 17 hours later
But baby is changing her pattern from past 2 days so will have to wait and check after 1 week
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on feeding infant

Detailed Answer:
Hi...yes please. You are right. Please wait another 1 week and then we can decide. But as her weight gain is good, I don't expect any problems even after a week.

Please be reassured that your baby is doing fine. If you keep thinking that she's not well or that she's not feeding well, this stress will have an impact on your milk production and it might come down.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng