Suggest alternate baby food for an infant

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Sat, 14 Apr 2018 in Child Health
Question: I have a 3 months 15 days old baby. He was 3.5Kgs at the time of birth and 6.5 kgs now. I would like to know when can i start introducing solids to him. I heard it is ok to give him juices from the 4th month. please advice.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggetions on complimentary feeding

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

Your kid's birth weight and current weight are absolutely superb. My congratulations for it.

PLEASE GIVE EXCLUSIVE BREAST FEEDING TILL THE BABY IS 6 MONTHS OF AGE.
DO NOT GIVE EVEN WATER TILL THEN.
YOU SHOULD START COMPLIMENTARY FEEDING ONLY AFTER THE BABY IS 6 MONTHS OLD.

At 6 months age you can start giving Cerelac stage one rice or Nestum rice stage 1 etc. All are same in calories and energy. Only thing is palatability which is subjective for each kid.

Other home-made food options will be -
1. Daal and rice well cooked and made into a porridge along with ghee
2. Boiled apple or banana and mashed into a paste.
3. Any made cereal porridge preparation with additional ghee added.

Remember certain principles like -
1. Add one food material / cereal or fruit per week. This will be useful because if he develops vomiting or diarrhoea, we will know what to avoid.
2. Add vegetables and fruits made into a paste surely to avoid constipation.
3. Do not add too much sugar as it may cause diarrhoea.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng