What causes emptying of stomach immediately after eating?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: two weeks ago i had a bout of ibs which has cleared but i feel that the upper part of my stomach is permanently empty even after eating. i am also burping a lot which is not normal. the doctor gave me omeprazole 10 days ago but symptoms still present. my mother died of oesophagus cancer and obviously that is on my mind.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
2 weeks therapy should preceed invasive testing to look for improvement

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Based upon your description , it appears to be GERD/Dyspepsia rather than IBS.
PPIs like esomeprazole or omeprazole should be given along with metoclopramide, sucralfate and bismuth subsalicylate for at least two weeks. If the symptoms persist despite adequate empiric therapy then other causes should be confirmed or ruled out via an upper G.I endoscopy.

I am sorry about your mother. There is no confirmatory evidence for genetic predisposition to Esophageal cancer but many environmental triggers have been identified. Smoking and alcohol should be avoided as they can predispose to risk of esophageal cancer among other malignancies. Obesity, GERD leading to recurrent esophagitis and riboflavin deficiency have also been associated as risk factors for esophageal cancer. These should be identified and managed in consult with your doctor.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil