Lump on tongue, soreness, redness. Could it be cancer?

Hi, I have a pea sized lump on my tongue (or rather in my tongue) to the left size. I have shown a doc a year ago and he said it was probably veins or something similar (I cannot exactly remember what he said but he said it was not serious). It is still there and just as big and today I feel it sore and the top of it the taste buds seem to be joined and a little bit redder. I am making an appt to see a different doctor but am now very worried. Could it be cancer?
Fri, 16 Nov 2012
Dear Concerned,

You have not mentioned the duration of your tongue swelling.Do you have a Sharp tooth overlying the tongue in that area.

It could be due to any of the following:

A)Benign geographic tongue; An innocent lesion . To be left as it is as it is painless and symptomfree.

B)Riboflavin Deficiency;-To be supplimented with B-Complex or multivitamins.

(C)Infective Aetiology ;in addition local application of choline salicylate/benzalkonium chloride/lignocaine gel will relieve your pain if in addition infected.An antisceptic betadine mouth gargling can also be done. Antibiotic Dental Gels can be applied over the area for the relief of the same.

D)Erythroplakia of Qwerat ;It is a REDDISH VEVETTY THICK pre-malignant lesion occurs in people with predispositions such as Smoking/Spirit Consumption/Spicy food/Sharp tooth impinging/Syphilis

In any case the diagnosis is established only after HPE(Histo path examination) report is obtained after Biopsy of the lesion and the lump and then further treatment can be instituted by a General Surgeon.

Wishing you a quick recovery,

Best regards.,

Dr Lt Cdr ASN Bhushan