What causes elevated bilirubin levels in urine?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi. I had a blood bilirubin test done and it was normal but my urine bilirubin was +3. Do I have liver damage?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely dehydration or early hepatitis or false positive test

Detailed Answer:

thank you for asking
I read your question and i understand your concern. Increase urinary bilirubin is usually always associated with blood conjugated bilirubinemia as unconjugated can not go to urine due to binding to proteins. However you mentioned of normal blood bilirubin rules out any worrisome liver pathology as this hyperbilirubinuria should be reevaluated after getting adequately rehydrated as to me it looks like a mere concentrated urine showed up increased bilirubin.

Had there been any raised bilirubin in the serum we should have ruled it out for the cause. Isolated increase in urine is merely a dehydration issue and nothing else. A rare occasion such presentation indicate early acute hepatitis and should be ruled out for early hepatitis so regularly follow up you liver functions and keep an eye on ALT.

Apart from it urine test may be false positive due to many confounding factors like some medications as phenothiazine etc.

Talk to your doctor and let them sort it out for you. I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan

Khan