question-icon

What causes elevated TSH level even after thyroidectomy?

Posted on Thu, 21 May 2015
Question: I had a thyroidectomy and my TSH is now 60. Does that mean my pituatary is working overtime looking for random thyroid leftovers and I will need radioactive iodine?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
Your TSH of 60 most likely indicates that you need thyroid medication to replace the missing hormone. After thyroidectomy, you no longer have thyroid hormone in your body. It is an important hormone that is necessary for survival.

People who have a total-thyroidectomy should be on thyroid medication for the entire life after surgery.

Getting the dose right is also very important.

You will be best served by seeing an Endocrinologist in person, who will examine you and make a long term plan for treatment with thyroid medication (levo thyroxine)
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist