• question-icon

What causes elevated SGPT levels?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My husband is 42 yrs old .The sgpt is always elevated to 80 level and he has grade 2 fatty liver diagnosed .His cholesterol level are elevated and LDL is 156.The doctor has advised diet controls and 30 minutes exercise.Is this enough or should I consult another doctor?BILIRUBIN TOT-1.43 MD/DL,BILIRUBIN DIRECT -0.22MG/DL,
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer....your doctor is right.
Detailed answer...
I have read your query and understand your concern.
Frankly speaking there is no particular medicine to lower high SGPT levels.
Treatment protocol for reduction of SGPT is modification of diet, doing regular aerobic exercises and reduction of weight.
Quit alcohol
Avoid fatty and deep fried foods,butter cheese,junk foods,sausages,bacon and colas.
Avoid processed foods,pickled foods,salad dressings,salami etc
Avoid excess salt
Take more of green vegetables,fresh fruits and drink plenty of water.
Do regular aerobic exercises for at least 30-45 minutes a day and shed your weight.
It would take around 3-4 months to achieve your targets.
There is no need to consult any other doctor as your treating doctor is already giving you the right advice.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta