What causes elevated GGT level in blood?
Elevated GGT suggestive of liver disease.
Dear Sir, Hi
Thanks for posting your query on HCM.
I appreciate your concern for the blood test report showing a very high,
Incomplete data: Medications history, alcohol intake??? any existing disease, duration of elevated GGT...not mentioned.
The gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT) is primarily present in Liver, Kidney, and pancreatic cells.
Normal Reference Values for age 41-45 years: 9-37 U/L
The given result is 20 times normal.
It is an index of liver cell injury caused by toxins such as alcohol, drugs, poisons, etc.
Such high levels are usually due to liver diseases, such as hepatitis like alcoholic liver disease or cirrhosis and gall bladder diseases.
Even small amounts of alcohol within 24 hours of a GGT test may cause a temporary increase in the GGT.
Other conditions, such as congestive heart failure, diabetes, or pancreatitis may also increase the level of GGT.
Drugs like Phenytoin, Carbamazepine, and Phenobarbital are also known to increase the level.
Hope this answers your query.
Should you need more clarification, please feel free to send your query.
Wishing you a very good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes low ggt levels in blood
- Can zolpidem cause hight ggt levels
- Blood test showed high ggt level have thyroid problem cause
- Increased hb and ggt count what could the cause be
- Can cistitis cause higher ggt levels
- Is an increasing ggt level a cause for concern
- What causes elevated ggt level
- Rosuvas cause high ggt levels
- What causes rise in alt and ggt levels
- What causes high ggt levels