question-icon

What causes electrical shock like sensations around the chest and back?

Posted on Tue, 14 Feb 2017
Question: What what causes electrical shock feelings than are similar to 4 - 5 pin pricks accruing around the chest arm and back areas. They are rare and have happened maybe 2-3 times but when they happen there are no electrical sources nearby that could cause them.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar (35 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Nothing serious at this moment

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.

Spontaneous stimulation of nerve terminal may occur occasionally.
Persistent localization to a particular region needs examination and evaluation for any compressive radiculopathy.

Is there any history of herpes zoster in the involved area ?
Any back pain over involved area ?
Any history of diabetes ?

In occasional cases, no treatment is required.
Methylcobalamin can be used in case of persistence.

Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.

Dr N Kumar
Neurologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist