Does post-polio syndrome cause weakness and pain in the leg?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I had a very light case of polio when I was eight years old. with fatigue but no weakness in extremities. Now at age 73 I've been diagnosed with post-polio syndrome and one leg is weak and painful. I thought that post-polio cannot be worse or different from the original polio. Maybe I have been diagnosed incorrectly?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get examined and evaluated by a neurologist

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
Weakness and wasting in limb at this age should ve evaluated for any compressive radiculopathy.
Post polio syndrome has been reported in the involved limb due to mire reduction in neuronal pool due to degeneration related to aging.
Get a MRI lumbosacral spine and an emg too.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng