What causes ear pain when diagnosed with flu?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was diagnosed with the flu on Friday. I've been on tamiflu, lidocaine, and ibprofen since then. This morning I woke up with a bad ear ache. Is this normal or should I be seeing my doctor about my new symptom?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to see a doctor. Add tylenol to your treatment plan!

Detailed Answer:

With a viral infection around, it is not uncommon that it causes ear pain as well. Because you are already on treatment, there is no need for a further doctor visit at this time. Just to make sure that your pain is well addressed, add 1000mg of tylenol every 6-8hours. Keep me posted with your response to this treatment.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me on this.

Kind regards!