What causes ear pain and nose bleeding?

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My 7 year old son has has an ear ache for a few days. Tonight he had a nose bleed. It was heavy but stopped after a few minutes. Is this an emergency situation or PCP on Monday?
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's not emergency. you can consult doctor Monday

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.
Earache at this age can be because 2 main reasons.
1. Wax in the ear.
2.ear infection following cold attack.
Both conditions, you will need medical assistance.
If I were your treating doctor, I would have first clinically examined you, confirmed my diagnosis, then if it's wax, wax will be removed.
If it's ear infection, then I would prescribe penicillin antibiotics + anti inflammatory medicines like paracetamol syrup for 5 to 7 days.
I would treat cold with antihistamines tablet.
Emperically, when your son complaints of earache , you can give paracetamol tablet 250 mg twice daily for sudden pain relief.
Next consult with the doctor if pain increases.
Nose bleeding also can be because of congestion in the nose, caused secondarily because of cold or upper respiratory tract infection.
If I were your treating doctor, I would have prescribed decongestant nasal drops + antihistamines with decongestant syrup.
Vitamin C tablets and steam inhalation.
Next time, when there is nose bleeding, immediately make the child lie down, hold nose tightly, put the
decongestant nasal drops advised.
You can also keep a piece of ice on the bridge of nose to cause vasoconstriction which will arrest nose bleed.
With this Emperical treatment, you can wait until Monday and then consult with doctor.
Hope my answers have helped you. Pleased to help you further. Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E