Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

What causes ear pain and nose bleeding?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 937 Questions
My 7 year old son has has an ear ache for a few days. Tonight he had a nose bleed. It was heavy but stopped after a few minutes. Is this an emergency situation or PCP on Monday?
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's not emergency. you can consult doctor Monday

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.
Earache at this age can be because 2 main reasons.
1. Wax in the ear.
2.ear infection following cold attack.
Both conditions, you will need medical assistance.
If I were your treating doctor, I would have first clinically examined you, confirmed my diagnosis, then if it's wax, wax will be removed.
If it's ear infection, then I would prescribe penicillin antibiotics + anti inflammatory medicines like paracetamol syrup for 5 to 7 days.
I would treat cold with antihistamines tablet.
Emperically, when your son complaints of earache , you can give paracetamol tablet 250 mg twice daily for sudden pain relief.
Next consult with the doctor if pain increases.
Nose bleeding also can be because of congestion in the nose, caused secondarily because of cold or upper respiratory tract infection.
If I were your treating doctor, I would have prescribed decongestant nasal drops + antihistamines with decongestant syrup.
Vitamin C tablets and steam inhalation.
Next time, when there is nose bleeding, immediately make the child lie down, hold nose tightly, put the
decongestant nasal drops advised.
You can also keep a piece of ice on the bridge of nose to cause vasoconstriction which will arrest nose bleed.
With this Emperical treatment, you can wait until Monday and then consult with doctor.
Hope my answers have helped you. Pleased to help you further. Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor