What causes dull pain in the lower back while on Azithromycin?

Dr. Geeta Sundar

Posted on Fri, 12 May 2017 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Taking azithromycin for pneumonia. My stomach has not been handling it so well which has happened when I took these pills before. But now I'm having dull to somewhat very painful twinges in my lower back. I can't sleep and I can't eat. Should I be concerned the pain is from my kidneys or is it more likely from gas/irritated bowels.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is just gastric irritation caused by Azithromycin.

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to Health care magic,
Take Omeprazole 20 twice a day with a liquid antacid for 3 days and you will be fine. Next time you take Azithromycin take it after the acidity medication.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana