What causes dull back pain?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 13 Feb 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am getting the sensation that food is getting stuck//slowed down by a dull pain in my back. When trying to wash down with cold liquids I can feel the cold in that spot...eventually passes but feels restricted...
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dysphagia!

Detailed Answer:
Have gone through all your details.
The problem you are having is medically termed as dysphagia.Dysphagia is the medical term for difficulty swallowing, or the feeling that food is "sticking" in your throat or chest.
What you are feeling can better be termed as esophageal dysphagia.Esophageal dysphagia refers to the sensation of food sticking or getting hung up in the base of your throat or in your chest after you've started to swallow.

Some most common causes associated with it are=
1)Achalasia cardia-sophageal achalasia is an esophageal motility disorder involving the smooth muscle layer of the esophagus and the lower esophageal sphincter (LES). It is characterized by incomplete XXXXXXX relaxation, increased XXXXXXX tone, and lack of peristalsis of the esophagus (inability of smooth muscle to move food down the esophagus) in the absence of other explanations like cancer or fibrosis. When your lower esophageal muscle (sphincter) doesn't relax properly to let food enter your stomach, it may cause you to bring food back up into your throat.

2)Esophageal stricture-A narrowed esophagus (stricture) can trap large pieces of food. Tumors or scar tissue, often caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), can cause narrowing.

3)Diffuse esophageal spasm-Diffuse esophageal spasm (DES) is a condition in which uncoordinated contractions of the esophagus occur. It is thought to result from motility disorders of the esophagus. These spasms do not propel food effectively to the stomach. It can cause dysphagia.

Upper G.I endoscopy should be done at the earliest to find out the cause and treatment should be started once the cause of dysphagia os ruled out.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 26 minutes later
Thank you doctor, is that procedure usually performed under some type of anesthesia?

Thanks,
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No!

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
No its a routine procedure and anaesthesia ia not used.The studies will take about 45minutes.
Thanks!