What causes dry vagina and difficult penetration?

Question
Hi. I recently had unprotected sex with a new partener. Also, it had been about 6-7 months since my last sexual encounter. I experienced some vaginal dryness and penetration was difficult. Over the next couple days i was slightly itchy down there but didnt think much of it. We had sex a couple more times. The next night, the itching and burning was extreme, and urination was painful. I also made the mistake of scratching the area. I assumed it was a yeast infection, so i went the next day and purchased monistat 1 (today). Its been about 16 hours since treatment and the itching is gone but it still burns severely to where i can barely sit or walk. Ive XXXXXXX noticed that a have a few sores in and around the labia. Could this be due to friction caused by lack of lubrication? Also, the glands in my groin are swollen. Should i be concerned that this is herpes? My sores dont look quite like some of the pictures ive seen but its hard to tell. Please help!
Posted Sat, 2 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
clotrimazole ointment

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam thanks for trusting health care magic.
The picture attached and as per your history you clearly have got vaginal infection.
Local application of Clotrimazole ointment gives better and earlier results and also lesser chance of recurrence.
See for 2 days in case you don't get any relief, visit your gynecologist for local examination with speculum to see inside of vagina and cervix.
It is certainly not herpes.
Along with the application of cream take care of following points-
- avoid unprotected sex
- avoid tight underclothing
- keep local hygiene by washing it every time you go to pee
- drink at least 3 litres of water everyday.
Wish you best of health.

Follow-up: What causes dry vagina and difficult penetration? 4 hours later
Thank you so much for responding! Im in so much pain that i can hardly move. Would desatin be an example of what i should be using? Also, do i apply it directly to the sores/blisters? How long until i feel some relief?

Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
clotrimazole needed

Detailed Answer:
No dear desitin is used for diaper rash or where patients have incontinence of urine.
You need clotrimazole as you have infection and not just a rash.
You need to apply it twice a day and see for relief but in case you are not relieved or it worsens then visit your doctor as soon as possible.
If you are relieved then use it regularly for 7 days and then stop.

Follow-up: What causes dry vagina and difficult penetration? 1 hour later
Thank you. Im just totally freaked out by all of these blisters! Is this common?

Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
very common

Detailed Answer:
I understand your concerns.
Yes it common so much so that almost 90 % women have had it at least once in their lives.
Hygiene and abstinence is the key to deal with it.