Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

What causes double vision,migraines,numbness and tingling with thining of nails?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1357 Questions
I have intermittent double vision, migraines, 2 episodes of having numbness & tingling in the right side of my body. In the last year I've also gotten more emotional, my nails are thinning and peeling, my hair has changed from fine, straight and full to (according to my hair dresser) coarse, breaking off and now I've lost 30% of it. I'm not perimenopausal, they checked already.
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Consult a Neurologist and an Endocrinologist Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. The provided information is suggestive of certain possibilities, such as, 1. A variant of migraine, called Ocular migraine. Constant anxiety, panic reactions and labile emotions are most potent triggers of Migraines. It is also highly possible that you may be suffering from Tension-headaches, which mimic migraine attacks. 2. Thyroid Problem, either due to under-functioning thyroids or 3. A lesion in the Pituitary gland, located under the brain hemispheres. Migraines with possible associated nausea/vomiting, emotional lability, repeated occurrence of intermittent double vision and one-sided numbness + tingling; and, features suggestive of hypothyroid problem are strongly suggestive of a lesion in the Pituitary gland. In my vast clinical practice, I have treated thousands of Migraine patients and found that a 6-12 months' regular course of a combination of an anti-depressant + an anti-anxiety drug + Propranolol has a cure rate of more than 90%. This treatment will ALSO cure your anxiety/depression completely. I therefore, strongly recommend that you get, at the earliest, an MRI scan of the Brain (for evidence of Pituitary lesion, if any); Thyroid Function tests and other relevant tests, as decided by your doctor. Consult a neurologist (and, possibly an Endocrinologist) and apprise them of my opinion. I am certain that they will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor