What causes dizziness?

Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: yes, please. Upon waking I experience dizziness, it did go away after a bit . I returned to bed and it did it again an hour later. Left with nausea and a feeling of weakness all over . I don't seem to be dizzy now. Ate some breakfast but still feel punk
Answered by Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May be an ear disease or motion sickness

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,

Welcome to HCM. I have gone through the question and understand your concerns.

Certain ear diseases or infections like Meniere's disease can cause problems in the balance of the ear and lead to dizziness. Motion sickness as well occurs in a similar way. In Meniere's disease, there are changes in the fluid in the ear cavity which causes the dizziness.

One more possible cause is hypoglycemia but this is not likely since the dizziness continued even after you ate breakfast.

I think it would be a good idea to see a ear doctor to get your ears examined. A few ways this can be done is to test the auditory nerve which is responsible for balance.

Also see a doctor if you get a fever because this may indicate a viral fever.

I hope I have answered your query. Please post a follow up if you have more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj