What causes dizziness?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Thu, 14 May 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am very dizzy and feel tightness in throat
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
B.P, blood counts, blood sugar and electrolytes required to evaluate cause

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Dizziness is the feeling of being lightheaded and can lead to blackouts and fainting. Dizziness needs to be differentiated from vertigo as vertigo is the sensation of movement in the absence of movement or a feeling of spinning of the surroundings around a person. Dizziness, requires evaluation on cardiac lines where as vertigo demands a neurological assessment to determine whether its a central or peripheral one.

Blood pressure needs to be checked to rule out a low or high blood pressure, both of which can cause dizziness.
Hypoglycemia and anemia needs to be checked for. In fact you should take something sweet like candy, right away to prevent the deleterious effects of a low blood sugar.
Dehydration, hyperventilation , electrolyte imbalance especially a low calcium and a low sodium level can lead to dizziness accompanied by throat tightness.

Please go to an E.R near you to get your B.P, blood counts, blood sugar and electrolytes checked in consultation with your doctor.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E