• question-icon

What causes dizziness and vomiting in an Alzheimer's patient?

Posted on Sat, 1 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: My wife who has Alzheimer's has been dizzy and vomiting off and on for the last 7days. She was under observation in hospital yesterday. They gave her fluids for dehydration, did cat scans of torso and head, blood tests, x rays, urine analysis, etc. all normal. She did not get dizzy or sick while there (in bed there for 36 hrs). Sent her home last night. This AM the dizziness started again. Now at 6PM she is vomiting again every time she tries to lay down. I am wondering if it is Verdigo? How can I tell if it is Verdigo?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
have some signs

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM.

You probably mean " Vertigo".
Well Vertigo is a feeling of dizziness, disorientation, or a feeling of spinning. 7It is not a disease for itself, but it may indicate some other disorders, mostly neurological.

Usually this is related to inner or middle ears disorders. Less common, it can be a bacterial infection of ears, brain or sinuses.

Commonly, we see a disease caused Menieres diseases which is manifested with her symptoms, vertigo, nausea and vomit. Furthemore, there is also something known as Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo, or BPPV. This is usually characterized by vertigo that comes about when in certain positions or movements are made.

Vomiting and nausea may be present but Vertigo is usually indicating only sensation of spinning in head.
It can be treated with steroids, anti-dizziness pills, patches, anti-histamines, antibiotics.

If there is no bacterial infection, tumor or brain bleeding then Veritgo cant be easily proved with diagnostic tests. In her case, we see that all tests were fine so I dont think that something serious is going on.

It may be benign Vertigo, but also, gastroenteritis, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance or bowel issues.

At this point, she should have enough fluids, easier diet and if symptoms persist she should see ENT doctor first and then gastroenterologist to do gastroscopy and abdominal CT scan.

Wish you good health. Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon