• question-icon

What causes dizziness and imbalance while on Irbesartan, Doxazosin, Clonidine and Duloxetine?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am currently taking irbesartan 150 mg; doxazosin 8 mg;clonidine 1 mg;hydalzine 25 mg; last three 2x daily novalog 10-30 units 2x daily; toujeo 84-109 units at bedtime; lyrica 75 mg 2x daiy;lansaprazole 30 mg 1x daily; duloxetine 60 mg. 1x daily; plaquenil 200 mg. 2x daily; stool softner 250 mg 1x daily; vitamin D 2000 units; calcium 630 units plus vitamin D 500 mg; and a probiotc 2 x daily. I am a 66 yr. old female experiencing dizziness several times a day accompanied with my legs just giving out. If not with reach of a chair or my bed I fall. luckly I haven't suffered serious injury. But once I get up I feel okay and can walk about without dizziness. When this first happened it was within an hour of taking my morning meds. Now it happens hours later and more than one episode. Is this a reaction to some of my meds interacting?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ma'am

After going through the medical details provided by you I would like to tell you that as you are on multiple antihypertensives so you need to monitor your blood pressure regularly as probably your dizziness is happening due to fall in bp due to multiple medicines in which case the dose or medicine needs readjustment.

Also I would like to suggest you to get few tests done

1. ECG
2. Echocardiography
3. Complete Blood Count
4. Kidney function test
5. Serum electrolytes

These test will help to find out other probable causes of your dizziness which could be any rhythm abnormality or may be due to electrolyte imbalance or anemia and so on.

I hope this information will answer your query and will guide you accordingly. Feel free to ask if you have any more doubts.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 2 hours later
After episodes of falling I have checked my BP and blood sugar which were both normal, so if BP dropped it was immediately before becoming dizzy and/or falling. I will make an appointment with cardiologist for annual exam and present problem. Unless things have changed since last year when I had EKG, ECG, venal sonogram of legs and torso; all came back normal. I do have a heart murmur which has not been a problem that I am aware of.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
Yes it's advisable that you should personally consult a cardiologist for through evaluation.

If you have a heart murmur then you should get an Echocardiography done to see the reason of murmur and then plan accordingly.

Till then you have to be a little careful while wAlking and working around as sudden fall can cause you an injury.

Get an appointment as early as possible

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist