Can Irbesartan be replaced with Losartan?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I was put on irbesartan by my cardiologist which he had repoaced losartan with thismedication it is 300mI had to go to the hospital a few days because I had a problem (I had acute renal failure) they changed my heart medicineback to losartan 100 mg. Need to know what I should take and if the medicinemg are a upgrade in mg as the hospitals was workingon getting my blood pressure down

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ma'am

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern for your health and I would like to tell you that both the medicines belongs to ARB'S group of antihypertensive medication.

Both of these have some effect on kidney function and electrolyte balance however the down effect on kidney function is more with Irbesartan as compared to losartan which is considered to be relatively safe from kidney function point of view.

So its advisable to continue with losartan as you are already facing kidney issues.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T