What causes difficulty in swallowing, swelling in throat and sleep apnoea?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: My U/S report conclusion is as follows:
There is a small hypoechoic nodule in the lower pole of the right lobe measuring 3mm
There are several small lymph nodes in the neck with the largest in the right side measuring 0.4 x 2.4cm and in the left, the largest node 1.5 x 3.0
I have been referred to an ENT specialist but he is away till the end of September. Have had increasing discomfort in my throat , difficulty in swallowing........feeling like I have to gulp. I also apparently have sleep apnea, but I feel that is directly related to the encroachment of swelling in my
throat......like a tablet is stuck there. Should I be requesting more urgent attention for possible needle biopsy. Have done my Dr Google research and now have a very good understanding of the possible outcomes. Should I be seeing an Endocrinologist insteat of ENT?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ENT normally involved with disease of the thyroid

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

No, ENT is fine. Endocrinologist are specialists within the internal medicine field whereas ENT (Ear, nose and throat) are specialists in surgery.
If a biopsy or especially surgery is needed then ENT would be needed, because they can operate (though most endocrinologist can do the initial biopsy at least)

ENT deal with issues in the throat area as part of their speciality and they are normally involved when a lesion in the thyroid is detected.

Lesions in the neck can compress the airway and affect breathing so it is possible that they are contributing to your sleep apnea

If it is possible to see another ENT doctor prior to this appointment then this can be done but if this is not possible and you can get an appointment for an endocrinologist the he or she would be able to do the initial biopsy for you.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Thank you for your help. Followed through on your advice and .have been back to see my GP and referred now to another ENT specialist whom I see next week. Just need answers before I send myself crazy!!
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
no prob

Detailed Answer:
Hi

That's understandable, good or bad, it always feels best to get a definitive answer rather than wondering.

If you need any additional help, feel free to contact