• question-icon

    What causes difficulty in swallowing food and pain in the sternum?

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: i have been having difficulty eating or drinking. It feels as if something gets stuck around my sternum, and fills up almost to my throat. It happens beyond about 8 oz. Sometimes when I try to continue to eat, it causes pain above my clavicle bone. What could this possibly be? Should I see a doctor?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to undergo Barium swallow testing

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

Difficulty eating and drinking is called dysphagia.
People with dysphagia have a feeling of food stuck in throat/chest.
Causes for dysphagia include
-Esophageal structure or constriction
-achalasia cardia, which is the failure of lower esophageal sphincter to relax
-Tumor in esophagus
-Zenker's diverticulum, which is an outpouching of mucosa of posterior esophagus

The first evaluation that need to be a done is a barium swallow evaluation to pin point the point and cause of obstruction.

Please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider for further evaluation and management

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Answered by
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 3186 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Achalasia cardia

doctor1 MD

Hi When I eat solid foods it feels that it is stuck in my esophagus and goes down very slowly causing pain

doctor1 MD

Hello, Experiencing discomfort and pain in upper chest and between shoulder blades when eating. Seems to be intermittent, but PPIs don't seem to be...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

188 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal
  • Q - Suggest treatment for chronic rhinosinusitis

  • Q - Suggest treatment for chronic constipation

  • Q - What causes severe muscle and upper body pain?

  • Q - Suggest remedies for delayed menstrual bleeding

  • Q - What causes intermittent sharp pain in the groin area while walking?

  • Q - Suggest ways to deal with behavioral volatility and emotional outbursts...

  • Q - Suggest treatment for pinched nerve spasms in the shoulders, neck and arms

  • Q - What do itchy rashes on the legs indicate?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for rashes between leg and scrotum

  • Q - What are the interactions when Bisoprolol, Amlodipine, Lisinopril and...