What causes pain in the esophagus?

Posted on Sat, 16 Dec 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi When I eat solid foods it feels that it is stuck in my esophagus and goes down very slowly causing pain
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be achalasia cardia.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

It can be Achalsia cardia.Achalasia is a primary esophageal motility disorder characterized by the absence of esophageal peristalsis and impaired relaxation of the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) in response to swallowing.Esophagus is seperated from stomach by a muscular sphincter called lower esophageal sphincter.Impaired relaxation of this sphincter can also be responsible for feeling of food struck in stomach.The degeneration of nerves may due to uncontrolled GERD .It is a condition that makes it hard for food and liquid to move from the esophagus into the stomach.Long standing achalasia can lead to squamous cell carcinoma of esophagus. The risk for development of esophageal cancer is 0.4-9.2% in achalasia.

Tests suggested are-
High-resolution esophageal manometry. Using a catheter inserted down your esophagus, muscle contractions in your esophagus are measured when you swallow water.
Endoscopy- To visualise esophagus and stomach.

Follow up with reports of Endoscopy.

Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist