• question-icon

What causes difficulty in sleeping while on Tizanidine?

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had L1-L4 Laminectomy 8 weeks ago by a Neurosurgeon. Surgery was very successful. Sciatica pain completely gone. I was put on Hydrocodone/acetaminophen 7.5/3.25and Tizanidine 4mg every 6 to 8 hours. I am no longer on Tizanidine. I have cut down to 1 tablet daily of Hydrocodone/acetaminophen. I have trouble getting to sleep and have since 2 weeks after the surgery. I have cut out the Hydrocodone/acetaminophen completely as of last nite. Why can't I get to sleep? Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dependency

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

It is possible that you have gotten dependent on the Hydrocodone. It could take a while to wear off, in a few days. Stress can reduce the chance of falling asleep quickly.

Meanwhile, you can try the following

You can try eating carbohydrate rich diet at night, avoid caffeine, colas, alcohol in the evening. Reading a book before sleeping in need helps to attain sleep faster.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 4 hours later
So it could take a few days to get over the Hydrocodone? Since I am an Insulin Dependent Diabetic I cannot eat a lot of carbs at night. I will try reading. Should I ask for some kind of a sleeping pill when I go to my primary care doctor? Did a lot of physical gardening activity today, so I should be really tired tonight. Thank you for your response.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stress as a cause

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the reply.

It is better to avoid any sort of sleeping pills as toy can get hooked on to them too.

Do try various methods to feel tired enough to sleep. They will fare better in the long run.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon