What causes difficulty and pain while swallowing?

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 1 Jul 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hello doc,

My husband feels very difficult to swallow saliva and food,it is almost a month now.He says its painful while swallowing in the lower neck region and middle esophagus region.And also for the past to days very severe and he feels very tired and sleep.(he works in night shift for the past 2 months).We consulted a doc and she has given medicine sucrafil syrub,hifenac p tab, levoday 500mg and Rantac 150mg ,but no effect for those tablets...Pls help
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
upper GI endoscopy

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam,

Your husband needs to get an upper GI endoscopy done to find the cause for difficulty in swallowing.

It is a very simple procedure wherein an endoscope is inserted into the mouth.
The tip of the scope has a camera and the picture can be seen on a monitor. Any disease in the oesophagus or stomach can be easily picked up.

It is a 5 minute procedure and requires overnight fasting.

For this procedure you shouls consult a gastroenterologist.

I realise you are in XXXXXXX Do you want me to suggest a gastroenterologist ?

Dr Rajkishori Godhi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 56 minutes later
yes pl doc,suggest me the doc in XXXXXXX .apart from this he has leg pain constantly for about 4 months..
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dr XXXXXXX KS

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam,
You can consult Dr XXXXXXX K S.
Consultant Gastroenterologist, Fortis Hospital Bannerghatta road, XXXXXXX
Contact Fortis hospital for an appointment.

He is also available at XXXXXXX polyclinic in JP XXXXXXX everyday between 6pm- 9pm.
Phone - 080-0000, 0000.

Leg pain can have many causes, detailed history and examination is required.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D