What causes diarrhea with blood in stool?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been having diarreah sometimes, and today had a lot of red blood in my stool. I have a little cramping also. This has never happened before. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please provide the requested data as following...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

I am sorry for the situation you are in.

Having a lot of red blood in your stool is indicating possible:
- hemorrhoids
- bowel infection/inflammatory disease

You are reporting to have diarrhea sometimes. This makes me think that most of the time you are constipated.

With regards to having red blood in stool, I'd like to know if you got problems while defecating (i.e. straining too long) and if you are also having diarrhea?

To my opinion, further tests are needed to determine the right cause:
- complete blood work
- biochemistry testing
- colonoscopy
- culture of stool

Depending on the tests results, specific treatment will be prescribed.

Looking forward to have the requested data in!
Dr.Klerida