What causes diarrhea, bloating and foul smelling flatulence after taking antibiotics for UTI?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am a 40 year old female with a significant history of abdominal surgeries. I have had gasteic bypass and then several years later developed a intusseption that required a small bowel resection as well as revision of the bypass. I started on antibiotics for a UTI on nov 8 and 4 days later developed diarrhea and I didn’t even know I was going. I had to wear disposable underwater as it occurred while I was up and about and again I never knew I was going. The stool was very soft and had a different odor then usual. This has continued for 28 days and when the bowel movements had cut back to wear I could wear regular clothing I had a lot of bloating and god awful smelling gas. Now it seems as though I am back to having bowel movement without realizing it when I am out and about. I even have the bowel movement every time I go to the bathroom at least 5 times a day. The stools are very soft . How serious could this be with my abdominal history?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I dont feel its related to your previous abdominal history.

Detailed Answer:
Firstly thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
As your problem is directly related to intake of antibiotic most likely you are suffering from gut flora depletion as a result of toxins produced by antibiotics.Our body has its own enviroment called gut flora.Gut flora is the complex community of microorganisms that live in the digestive tracts of humans. The intestinal microflora is a complex ecosystem containing over 400 bacterial species. The flora is sparse in the stomach and upper intestine, but luxuriant in the lower bowel.Use of antibiotics may destroy this flora and can lead to various problems with digestive system like indigestion,abdominal pain,belching, bloating and increased gas formation loose motion or constipation.These symptoms may vary from person to person.
I would suggest you to start good quality probiotics (VSL# 3) twice daily for a few days.Probiotic mechanisms of action include enhancement of the epithelial barrier, increased adhesion to intestinal mucosa, and concomitant inhibition of pathogen adhesion production of anti-microorganism substances and modulation of the immune system.In LAY MANS language it contain a lot of bacteria's which forms a part of normal gut flora.A antispasmodic like dicyclomine can be taken for 3 days.This would reduce the frequency of stools.
Imodium an over the counter medicine can be taken as 4 mg twice daily dose.This will help to control loose motions.

Few tests sugested are-
Stool routine test
Stool culture and sensitivity test.
An ultra sound abdomen.
These are some basic tests.

Hope i was helpful.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad