• question-icon

What causes diarrhea at night after eating fibre food?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I usually eat my only meal just prior to bed time. recently my ingestion of roughage has increased and I eat lots of veggies and fruit raw. recently on two occasions I have experienced diarrhea during the night. it occurs about five hours into my sleep. this has happened several time over the years. could I be eating too much roughage at bed time? otherwise I feel great and at seventy am still swimming 3/4 of a mile five days a week.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I will say avoid eating at that time! Eat earlier!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this issue you have reported. The truth is that shortly after eating, and more so with much roughage, our transit is set into increased activity and that culminates to the urge of going to stool. If you eat late/close to bed time, then this will happen when you are sleeping. If it doesn't interfere with your sleep, then there is no need to change it. If it does, I will recommend you eat earlier so that your sleep cannot be distorted. Roughage, high volumes is good at your age and there should be no worries about it. Keep up and know it is meant not to be digested and that's why you will have no difficulties passing out stools.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah