What causes diarrhea and yellowish discoloration in stool after taking Amoxicillin Clavulanate?
Question regarding change in bowel movement color.
I am recovering from tonsillitus and a probable sinus infection. I was given a Zpk first which did not totally resolve the infection and then Amox-Clav. I stopped the antibiotic a day ago. As I have a history of IBS, and some recent yeast infections, I was taking Florastor in the evenings and a general probiotic mid day. I have noticed bowel movements have moved from initially loose to formed, but a strange yellowish color. Not neon. Yellow brown- but definitely lighter than normal. Could this be caused by either A-C or probiotic? How long does it take for the the antiobiotic to get out of one's system.
Need not worry
Thanks for posting in HCM.
There is no need to worry about this slight change in color of stool.
Any shade from brown can be considered normal.
If you get black tarry or yellow bulky greasy or bright red or clay colored stool then you need to worry as these colors of stool indicate some underlying problem.
But in your case it is none of the above colors and you need not worry.
I do not think it is due to antibitics or probiotics.
Certain food items can also change the color of stool.
Amox-clav stays in your system for about 24 hours after taking the medication.
Probiotics stay for many days.
I hope that answers your query.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes mucus in stool with on and off diarrhea
- What is the cause of bleeding after diarrhea
- What causes diarrhea after taking aloevera
- What causes diarrhea immediately after taking food
- What causes diarrhea and mucas in stools
- What causes diarrhea after taking probiotics
- What causes diarrhea and string like things in stool
- Amoxicillin and calpol cause diarrhea
- What causes diarrhea after eating
- What causes abdominal pain with diarrhea and bloody stool