• question-icon

What causes diarrhea and abdominal pain?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I took 1 laxative a day for 3 days no movement. This morning at 6 am cramping started horrible pain for an hr in bathroom finally pooped. 4 more times by 11 with cramps. 1 lighter cramping but bloody looking diarrhea small amount. Has happened about 4 times since 1.
Should I go to ER?

Answered by Dr. Sunil 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes go to ER for manual evacuation of bowel.

Detailed Answer:
You can ask your gastroenterologist to prescribe you Polyethelene Glycol. Polyethylene glycol-electrolyte solution is used to empty the colon. PEG-ES is in a class of medications called osmotic laxatives. It works by causing watery diarrhea so that -the stool can be emptied from the colon. The medication also contains electrolytes to prevent dehydration and other serious side effects that may be caused by fluid loss as the colon is emptied.Polyethylene glycol-electrolyte solution (PEG-ES) comes as a powder to mix with water and take by mouth.You have to drink one 8 ounce of PEG-ES every 10 or 15 minutes, and to continue drinking until your liquid bowel movements are clear.It will clear your bowel., you can take Magnesium citrate also. It is also a osmotic diuretic with same effect as Polyethylene glycol.
In case if it also does not help go for Digital evacuation.It involves the use of fingers to aid in the removal of stool from the rectum. Stool is emptied by gently inserting a finger into the rectum and removing it.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist