What causes depersonalisation disorder in children?

Posted on Tue, 23 Jun 2015 in Mental Health
Question: My son is 14 - will be 15 in July. He suffers from depersonalization disorder. We are 120 miles from the nearest psychiatrist and none have available appointments until this fall. He is currently going through counseling with a licensed counselor but cannot prescribe drugs. Our local physician isn't comfortable prescribing drugs because he is under 18 without recommendation from a specialist. Could you recommend something that would help with his disconnected, unattached feelings in addition to his counseling. Both of my children have suffered from depression and emotional issues due to their father leaving at young ages as well as other issues. I know side effects can sometimes cause them to feel less interested and lethargic and that is not what I want. I know it can be a process of trial and error as to what medications/combinations work for him but I would greatly appreciate some suggestions as a starting point to take to my general physician to begin the process.
Thank you in advance!
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
In depersonalisation disorder psychological treatment is very effective

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from Health Care Magic for your health related queries

I can understand your concern. He is just 14 and yes if he is having depersonalisation disorder then he should be evaluated by a psychiatrist before starting the drugs. I want to know if he has been diagnosed with depersonalisation disorder by a psychiatrist?

Depersonalisation disorder is a type of dissociative disorder in which individuals have feelings that their emotions or feelings are detached. The diagnosis is difficult to made and other causes should be ruled out before making this diagnosis. Due to his father leaving at his young age he has suffered significant emotional turmoil which probably caused his symptoms like emotional problems and depression.

In depression or also in depersonalisation disorder antidepressants are used commonly. But psychosocial treatments also have almost same efficacy as that of medicines. As you have mentioned that it is very difficult for you to get appointment from a psychiatrist early then I would advise you to take him to a Psychologist for proper management. Apart from counselling, Cognitive Therapy by a psychologist can help him to come out of his symptoms.

In cognitive therapy faulty thought processes, cognitive distortions of individuals are unravelled and then in successive sessions individual and psychologist work together to correct these cognitive distortions. The therapy runs in sessions but if properly done it has been found to be as effective as medicines.

If his diagnosis comes out to be Depersonalisation disorder then in my opinion COGNITIVE THERAPY would be better option than medicines in treatment. So please consult a good psychologist and take proper advise till you get appointment from a psychiatrist.

Thanks, I hope this helps you. Please don't hesitate to ask again for more doubts. Take care
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist