What causes delayed periods after protected sex?

Question
Hi me and my partner had protected (condom) sex on the night of 20th and 21st july, she consumed I pill on the morning of 22nd july (10 am). Her last period was due on 26th XXXXXXX her cycle is around 24 to 26 days... now she had not got her periods till 30th July ... unfortunately we cant afford the risk of pregnancy............what are the chances of her pregnancy?....... also she cant undergo any test to confirm the pregnancy.... what is the safest way to terminate it at home (medicine)? please help
Posted Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should not be worried about pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:

In my opinion the chances of pregnancy are very rare (only 3-5%) in your case; because you had protected sex and she had I-pill with in 72 hrs. Further as you said her cycle is 24- 26 days so her period due date is around 20-22 July. This means the dates of intercourse was near her period date, so chances of pregnancy are further decreases - close to zero. Therefore the delay in her period is most likely due to hormone disturbance created by i pill. She should wait for periods to resume.

As far as pregnancy termination is concerned, it is not advisable to start abortifacient drugs before confirming pregnancy. I am not sure why you say, she can't undergo any test. These days urine pregnancy kits are readily available in the market and are accurate too. She can go for an home urine pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy.

I will be available to guide you further once she gets the test done.

I think I have answered your query If you have further questions I will be happy to help you.

Good luck

Dr. Richa

Follow-up: What causes delayed periods after protected sex? 29 hours later
Thanks for your reply doctor.

But why she is not got her period till now.....by when she can expect the periods.... really worried about this status

Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please do not worried.

Detailed Answer:

As we discussed earlier you should not be worried about her period. If you are in doubt please go for home urine pregnancy to rule out your doubt.

In my opinion she should wait for one more week. Her period may be delay due to hormone or stress.

I think this information may be helpful to you. If you have further query I am happy to answer it.
Good luck.
Dr. Richa