What causes dark stool while on antibiotics?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: i am on curam duo forte and have a one off dark stool. Is that a side effect of this antibiotics
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not a known side effect

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Curam duo forte contains amoxicillin and clavulinic acid. It is a commonly used antibiotic.

Dark discoloration of the stool is not a known side effect of this medication. This effect can occur with iron tablets and pepto bismol.

It can also occur if there is bleeding in the upper part of the GI tract (the esophagus, stomach, small intestines), by the time the blood reaches the anus, it causes a black appearance.
This would be more common in persons with a history of reflux or an ulcer of the stomach.

If you continue to have dark stool and you are not using iron tablets or pepto bismol then you should consider seeing your doctor for an assessment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions