What causes dark patches around eyes and upper lips when on rheumatoid arthritis treatment?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Lupus
Question: hi i am 55 year old women. i am taking treatment of rheumatoid arthritis from last 5 years. from last 1 years dark patches have developed around eyes and upper lips. what can be remedy for this? i have photo sensitivity problem also
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
2 differential diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

thank you for writing on health care magic

I have gone through your reports and presciption. These pictures can go with 2 differential diagnosis:

1. It can be due to the side effects of HCQS causing hyperpigmentation over the sun exposed areas. A patient on long term HCQS can develop these sort of rashes

2. Your ESR is signifcantly high despite on treatment. When a patient has Rheumatoid, considering these rashes and photosenstivity, I would like to perform an ANA and ENA profile as well to look for any overlap of other diseases like SLE or myositis.

Did you manage to get a Dermatology consultation??If you haven't you should get that.

Do let me know for more queries
Would be happy to help out

REgards
Dr Naval
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist