What causes cracks, soreness and red skin on the thumbs?

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: The skin on my thumbs only; cracks, gets sore and red begins to peel until my thumbs are raw and extremely painful for no apparent reason. I can not write or use my thumbs at all. Gradually they will begin to heal, then it starts all over. It starts out looking like a big blister from a burn. Tender to the touch. Then it starts to get thick like a big calluse, starts to peel and looks horrendous. Ugly, nasty, burned peeling thumbs. People ask if it's contagious. I answer; not to my other 8 fingers. It's a perpetual disgusting condition. Why is this? How did it start? How do I cure it. Will it stay gone?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Psoriasis

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Probably you have developed psoriasis.
It's an autoimmune disorder and is characterized by peeling of skin, generally in localised areas.
I treat such cases with a topical steroid cream like clobetasol to be applied twice daily for two weeks.
It gives good results.
Can you please upload a photograph of the involved area.
This will help me in giving a closer diagnosis.
Waiting for your response.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 47 minutes later
I took 4 photos. I'm not sure where they went. They had red X's on them. I'll resend them again. I have to take photos with my phone & send them.

Did you get the photos? I wasn't sure how to send them.

Any thoughts on the photos I sent? In not even sure what you got them. Thnx, XXXX

Is Dr. XXXXXXX going to give me any additional information sinc he got the photos?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 32 hours later
Brief Answer:
Psoriasis

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow up and photograph and sorry for the delay in reply.
It is looking like psoriasis.
I treat such cases with a strong steroid like clobetasol.
Try this cream for 15 days and let me know the results.
Take care to not to peel the skin and also apply lot of moisturiser.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Dr XXXXXXX could you fax me a prescription for Clobetasol? I will get it filled here in Tulsa; or if you prefer, you can call it in to the pharmacy. please just let me know which one you decide. Thank you, Valerie Erickson

Fax: 918- 861-4676

Pharmacy: 918-279-3406 pharmacist: Sid: Koweta XXXXXXX Health Facility
Mon - Fri 7:30 am - 5 pm
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 46 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly get it prescribed

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Sorry we are not authorised to give prescriptions.
Kindly meet any general practitioner nearby and get it prescribed.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad