What causes constipation in formula fed babies?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: My newborn baby is just 11 days old. It has been 24 hours and he has not defecated. This seems strange because he was having regular bowel movements every few hours before. His appetite has gone up recently and he is drinking a lot of formula now. Should I be worried or is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Formula fed babies are usually constipated

Detailed Answer:
Hi....formula fed babies are usual or somewhat constipated. Try exclusive breast feeding if possible.

If the baby has passed urine and motion in the first 24 hours of life, is not vomiting consistently and accepting feeds well you need not worry about the constipation.

The above are the red flags. If these are there you need to see a pediatrician. Otherwise its usual for some formula fed babies to pass motion 7-10 days once.

Meanwhile as it's only 24 hours, I reassure you to just stay put and do not worry as he's feeding well without vomiting.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology