Suggest treatment for infrequent bowel movements

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My grandson has always had infrequent & large bowel movements since a little child. He is now 13 & went almost a week without a bowel movement so my daughter had him take an adult suppository which did work. What can he do or use to try to have more regular bowel movements.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lifestyle modification.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for adking query on HeathcareMagic,
Have gone through your details and i a appreciate your concerns.

Initially i would say that have a practical approach as there is no magical formula,Things will take time but they will help in long term as kid is having problem from many years.

A drastic change in life style is required. Not exercising enough, not drinking enough water and delaying a bowel movement deliberately by chiild can worsen the problem.
The most important factor in cure is a natural and simple diet. This should consist of unrefined food such as whole grain cereals, XXXXXXX honey and lentils; green leafy vegetables, like spinach, beans, lettuce, celery, asparagus, carrot. Adding some fat to meals or increasing the size of a meal such as breakfast can help create the urge to defecate.
Avoid colas fast food and processed food.
Give Fybogel husk-Fybogel sachets and Fybogel Hi-Fibre sachets both contain the active ingredient ispaghula husk, which is a type of medicine called a bulk-forming laxative. Ispaghula is a type of fibre. It swells when it comes into contact with fluid in the gut and thus increases the volume of the faeces.It increases the bulk in stool, an effect that helps to cause movement of the intestines. It also works by increasing the amount of water in the stool, making the stool softer and easier to pass. Psyllium, one type of bulk-forming laxative.
-Give him 2 cups of fruit 2 cups of vegetables and about 35 grams of fiber per day.
fruits: Generally all fruits, except banana and XXXXXXX fruit, are beneficial for him.
Guava fruit when eaten with seeds, gives roughage to the diet and helps in the normal evacuation of the bowels.
Grapes: have also proved highly beneficial.The grapes have the cellulose; natural sugar and organic acid make them a natural laxative fruit. Not only they clean the bowel, but also tones up the stomach and intestines.
Castor oil produces a laxative effect when ingested

Along with this initially give her laxative 5-10 ml every day for 1 month then start tapering it slowly.

In long terms he would be helped.

Regards!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj