What causes constipation in a child?

Pediatrician
Question
My two year old daughter is constipated doctor her stool is hard difficult to pass kindly suggest a Medicine doctor
Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A fiber rich diet needs to be ensured

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query. Incidentally, constipation in children has become a very frequently encountered problem these days. The primary reason for the same is lack of adequate play and/or the lack of adequate amounts of fiber containing foods in diet.

You need to give a fibre rich diet. Wheat, corn, and rice XXXXXXX are high in insoluble fiber, which helps prevent constipation. XXXXXXX can be sprinkled into his favorite foods, from hot cereal and pancakes to muffins and cookies. Many popular high-fiber cereals and bars are also packed with XXXXXXX Beans really are the magical fruit. Isabgol (psyllium husk) or senna can also be given as fiber supplements.

Fiber rich food items include:
* Apples, pears, parsnip, berries, raspberries, kumquats, guavas, squash, oranges, passion fuit, avocado, blackberries, pomogranate, currants, persimmons, kiwi fruits, figs, bananas, blueberries, cherries, apricots, strawberries, tangerines, papaya, mangoes, pineapple, plums, litchi, grapes, watermelon
* Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, lettuce, brussels sprout, carrots, leafy vegetables and spinach, amaranth, artichokes, green peas, collard greens, XXXXXXX sweet potato, okra, fennel, eggplant/brinjal, sweetcorn, beets, turnip, asparagus, onions
* Legumes, beans, lentils, chickpeas, celery, soybean, navy beans, cranberry beans, french beans
* Whole grains, quinoa, brown rice, millets and oats, squash and pumpkin seeds, seasame seeds, dried coconut, almonds,
* Mushrooms
* Flax seeds, chia seeds, corn XXXXXXX

It is good to know that you make sure that she drinks plenty of water. But you also need to ensure that she is urged to pass stool at a regular time every day (irrespective of whether she feels an urge to pass). This will demote stool holding habits and would promote regular bowel habits.

Medicines would not be the way out of this.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: What causes constipation in a child? 14 minutes later
Thank you doctor but at present she is not passing the hard stool she stands while pooping and she had biscuits and cakes recently still her stool is not normal she didn’t poop today

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
I still think that inclusion of fiber foods is important and should help.

Detailed Answer: